7:30 AM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
Registration, Networking Breakfast & Exhibit Hall Opens
Join us for the opportunity to enjoy breakfast and network with fellow owners, investors, developers, and financiers.
8:15 AM – General Session
Opening Remarks & State of the Market
- John Sebree, Vice President/National Director – NMHG, Marcus & Millichap
9:00 AM – General Session
Morning Keynote Interview: A New Urbanist Approach to Redevelopment
Ralph Zucker, president of Somerset Development, has been at the forefront of bringing New Urbanism to New Jersey. In this fireside chat, learn about his plans for the $100 million redevelopment of the former Bell Labs facility in Holmdel to a new mixed-use town center.
- Michael Bruno, Co-Chair, Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla’s Real Estate
- Ralph Zucker, President, Somerset Development
9:45 AM – General Session
The Urban Core: Revitalization and the Transit Incentive
While multifamily is currently the hottest asset class, location is the key to success. With construction costs rising and land growing ever scarcer, the state of New Jersey is ready for revitalization. From the Gold Coast and Fort Lee down through Newark and Paterson, the urban core is where the ROI is the greatest. Hear from investors and developers about what markets are ideal for revitalization, their challenges and how transit incentives are playing a role in the markets’ redevelopment.
- Brian Hosey, Sales Manager, Marcus & Millichap
- James Driscoll, Senior Vice President, LCOR
- Ronald Ladell, Senior Vice President – Development, AvalonBay
- David Minno, Principal, Minno & Wasko
- Brian Stolar, President & CEO, The Pinnacle Companies
- Eric Witmondt, Chief Executive Officer, Woodmont Properties
10:45 AM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
Enjoy a delicious mid-morning snack and refreshments, while mingling and comparing notes with active developers, real estate managers, owners, investors, and capital sources.
11:30 AM – Concurrent Session – Track A
The Big Question: Buy, Sell or Hold?
With rising interest rates and compressing cap rates, those apartment owners who are active for five to seven years are questioning what will happen when they refinance. With mortgage rates having been (relatively) low in recent years, many owners and investors are questioning at what point their buildings will decrease in value. Is it time to buy, sell or hold? Find out from this panel of industry veterans.
- Alan Hammer, Partner, Brach Eichler
- Chris Bellapianta, Director – Finance & Acquisitions, Advance Realty
- Harry Ekstrand, SVP – New Jersey Commercial Lending Team, Northfield Bank
- Azi Mandel, Managing Member, Treetop Development
- Zach Solomon, Managing Director, The Solomon Organization
- James von Albade, Vice President Investments, Equity Residential
11:30 AM – Concurrent Session – Track B
Tighten Your Belt: Smart Tips for Expense Reduction
From property taxes and additional insurance for water, gas and electric bills, owners and operators are overwhelmed with finding the best methods to reduce expenses. In this session, find out what top property managers in the state are doing to decrease costs and increase the bottom line. Benefit from case studies that prove that small changes can boost your NOI in big ways.
- Brian Hosey, Sales Manager, Marcus & Millichap
- Neil Beckerman, General Manager, Landmark Companies
- Seth Cohen, Executive Vice President – Head of Operations, BNE Real Estate Group
- Ronald Diskin, President & CEO, Ronald Diskin Associates
- Jack Linefsky, Vice President – Property Management, Value Companies
- Charles Schoenau, Managing Director, Insurent
- Jennifer Webb-Hayward, Regional Vice President, Pennrose Management Company
12:30 PM – Concurrent Session – Track A
What’s Next: The Value-Add Proposition
With today’s low cap rates, savvy investors are looking to create their own value by repositioning existing assets. But who are the players and capital sources for these deals? What techniques have proven the most successful in achieving the highest ROI in the various markets? Find out what amenities are emerging that will increase property values and how they can be incorporated into older assets.
- Ron Shapiro, Director, Center for Real Estate Studies – Rutgers
- Andy Cohen, President, Rock Properties
- Ravi Dave, Principal, Skyview Capital
- Larry Kaufman, Principal, Park40 Group
- Kenneth Pasternack, Chairman, KABR Real Estate Investment Partners
12:30 PM – Concurrent Session – Track B
Playing the Field: Anatomy of a Deal
Transaction velocity in the past year alone has increased in northern New Jersey by over 4 percent, with the median price per unit increasing over 3 percent. This panel will take a broad look at how a deal gets done in the state of New Jersey. The session will bring together all major players – including everyone from city council, legal and finance to land use, development and design – to discuss the opportunities and challenges available in the market today. Find out how a deal really gets done, and what can prevent one from coming to fruition.
- Christopher Leonard, Regional Director, Marcus & Millichap
- Nat Gambuzza, Vice President Investments, Marcus & Millichap
- Joshua Kahr, Principal, KEC Properties
- William O’Dea, Deputy Executive Director, Elizabeth Development Company
- Debra Tantleff, Founding Principal, TANTUM Realty
1:30 PM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
2:30 PM – General Session
Special Presentation: Legislative Update from Trenton
- Nicholas Kikis, Director – Regulatory Affairs & Research, New Jersey Apartment Association
2:45 PM – General Session
Afternoon Keynote Interview
- Ron Simoncini, President, Axiom Communications
- Emanuel Stern, President & COO, Hartz Mountain Industries
3:30 PM – General Session
Betting Big: Why Investors Come to New Jersey
This power panel will take a look at the newest players to enter the New Jersey multifamily market and explore the benefits to investing in the Garden State. Whether they’re new to the market itself or just to the apartment sector, hear why these investors are buying into this specific asset in this locale, which was ranked in the top 10 for apartment investment for 2013. Find out where capital is coming from and why it’s looking to New Jersey for big returns, despite the challenges the state affords.
- Thomas McConnell, Director – NMHG, Marcus & Millichap
- Jason Bilanin, Principal, Real Estate Growth Advisors
- Adam Fruitbine, Managing Director, Alliance Residential
- Arthur Rosenberg, CEO & Co-Founder, Azure Partners
- Tal Steinberg, Managing Partner, SELA Properties
4:30 PM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
Networking Cocktail Reception